Friday 10 February 2012

How to Get Kids to Sleep In the Same Room

The sleep experiment has been a success, hooray!!!

A few posts back I wrote about the troubles of getting the boys to sleep when they sleep in same room and prefer to play rather than sleep once the lights go out. (see A Sleep Over Every Night)

My solution to sit on the floor at the door of their bedroom has been a tremendous success. The first couple of nights I sat for 45 minutes, and had to tell them off very frequently, and sometimes had to put them in the naughty corner. I also became very bored sitting there.

The second night I brought along a book 'The Power of a Praying Parent' by Stormie Omartian, and I've been using this opportunity to work through the book every night.

The third night the boys realised that I wasn't going to go away (even though they asked me to). We'd also had a long day. They slept within 15 minutes.

The fourth night I realised that I didn't need to wait for both to fall asleep, I just had to wait for one party to sleep and I could sneak off, because they don't act up if the other one is sleeping!

It's about over a week now since I started this, and I can safely say that the boys no longer equate going to sleep with having a party! Getting kids to sleep in the same room is not impossible!

Now getting them to sleep is a cinch!

No comments:

Post a Comment